The historic Central Hall of Parliament opened for its first midnight ceremony in two decades for the launch of India’s most sweeping tax reform, GST, with country’s top leaders, cinestars and industrialists in attendance. Here are the highlights:
* President Pranab Mukherjee: GST will create a strong incentive for buyers to deal with honest and compliant sellers who pay their dues promptly.
* President Pranab Mukherjee: Introduction of GST is a momentous event for the nation.
* President Pranab Mukherjee: There were apprehensions whether bringing over 1,000 items under the tax bracket would be possible. The council pleasantly surprised all of us by completing the task on time.
* President Pranab Mukherjee: Was always confident that we will bring GST reform in the country.
* PM Modi: The GST is a ‘good and simple tax’ which will end harassment of traders and small businesses while integrating India into one market with one tax rate.
* PM Modi: GST is transparent and fair system that prevents black money and corruption and promotes a new governance culture.
* PM Modi: GST is a catalyst that will remove all imbalances in the economy and market.
* PM Modi: There was confusion due to the taxation system in the country. We are now going to get rid of that.
* PM Modi: From Ganganagar to Etanagar, from Leh to Lakshadeep – One nation, one tax.
* PM Modi: Just like Sardar Vallabhai Patel brought the entire country together. Through GST, we have all managed to come together.
* PM Modi: The best brains of the country made GST possible.
* PM Modi: At midnight, we have all come together to secure the future of our country.
* PM Modi begins his address, says the indirect tax reform is a result of combined efforts of various political parties at different points of time.
* FM Arun Jaitley: We ensured that there was no unnecessary burden on the weaker sections.
* FM Arun Jaitley: New India will create one tax, one nation, one market.